July 13, 2010

Fixing a kink - Hula Hoop surgery

I've had a few incidents where this has happened to one of my travel hoops. A mystery kink. Maybe the tubing was weak in one point due to flaws in manufactor. Maybe rouge children were playing with it and pulling on it when I wasn't looking. (Happens often!) Or maybe I was just a little to antsy to fold the thing up. Maybe I left it folded up in the car. (What happened to my led hoop.) But that leaves me with a kink in one of my favorite hoops. What do I do now?

I typically just leave my personal hoop(s) unfolded for a long duration of time. Maybe clamp down a little bit on it with some pliers. Leave it unfolded in the sun or in the car for an indefinite amount of time. Sometimes I can fold it up again, sometimes I can't. Sometimes I just make it worse. It's really just up to the tubing.

However, I did find that "hoop surgery" is entirely possible. It will never be exactly the same and still looks sort of funny when folded, but it works none the less.

Here's how to begin.

You will need:

A SHARP!, small, knife(I typically use a snap off box cutter.)
Something to cut your hoop patch with. (I recommend pvc cutters but a hacksaw works too.)
A marker that will show on the tubing.(I use a metallic, fast drying paint marker.)
A pair of large pliers with teeth on the inside for gripping.
Strong electrical tape for tight winding.
Epoxy for plastics, and clamps(optional)
A steady, patient hand.
About 20-60 minutes.

To start:

Cut a hoop patch approx. 4" in length. This tubing should be the same size and psi as the tubing your hoop is made out of.

Mark the middle of the inside of your hoop. Use a straight edge if you like.

Hold the hoop patch to this line and mark both ends so you know how long to make your cut.

Mark a section that is as long as your hoop patch and about 1/4" wide.

Carve away the section that you marked. Be carefule not to cut yourself or too far into the hoop. Cut slowy, and carefully making sure that you don't get any little pieces that fall into the hoop or you will have to remove these so your hoop doesn't rattle.

Take your hoop patch and note which way it curves. Mark a line on the outside curve of this piece and cut straight down the center of the outside curve. Afterwards carve away a little bit on one end and a little bit more out of the center so the hoop patch will slip inside the hoop nicely.

Now you're ready to insert your hoop patch. Insert the end that is carved away and side it up to one side. If you find your hoop patch is too big you can carve away a little off one of the ends.

Slide it in until it fits in the hoop nicely and clips onto the outside of the hoop.

Get your big pliers with teeth out. And place them around the hoop and hoop patch, catching the edge of the hoop patch with the teeth. Work slowly and carfully and turn the hoop patch so that it starts to slide into the hoop until it's all the way in. You may need to give the kink and little clamp down with the pliers first.

Once the hoop patch slides in you can push it in further so that the seam is completely inside the hoop and not showing through the hoop in the hoop.

From here you can use some glue and some clamps if you like. Place the glue between the inside of the hoop and the hoop patch and then clamp it down. This gets the hoop closer to it's original shape. Allow the glue to dry for an indefinite amount of time. Since the glue does not have a lot of access to air this time will vary and as I did not glue mine I am unsure exactly what time frame to give for this step.

Hold your hoop firmly and push it together where it has been patched. Tightly wrap this section well with electrical tape. Where the hoop has been cut will pucker out slightly when you fold up the hoop. This is to be expected. I am unsure if over time this will actually make another bend. If that ever occurs I will post an update.

Voila! You're hoop has now been patched. Carfully fold up the hoop. It will look a little strange and flat in that spot. But...it should actually be able to fold again. It will look best when unfolded, but now it still functions!

View the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCDKL_mOu8Q